Skip to main content

Family or specialist practice

About job opportunities in the Yukon 

The Yukon Medical Association advertises job and locum opportunities for physicians in the Yukon.

Licensing requirements

Physicians wishing to practice medicine in Yukon must:

  • be a licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada; and
  • hold: 
    • a certificate of fellowship from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (or a specialty certification issued by the Collège des médecins du Québec on or after October 16, 2007); or
    • the College of Family Physicians of Canada (or a family medicine certificate issued by the Collège des médecins du Québec on or after October 16, 2007)


  • hold a current full licence in another Province or Territory of Canada that is a party to the Canadian Free Trade Agreement.

About international medical graduates

The Yukon Medical Council is not currently accepting applications for a limited family practice or limited specialist practice licences. This means that all physicians must meet the requirements listed above.

Licensing process

The average time to process an application is 4 weeks.

  1. You must first apply through Physicians Apply.
  2. Once we receive your application, we will contact you and ask for the following documents:
    • Certificates of professional conduct (also known as certificates of standing) from all jurisdictions in which you have held a medical licence in the past 20 years. These must be submitted to us directly from the regulatory bodies.
    • A copy of all medical licences that you currently hold in other Canadian jurisdictions.
    • Proof of completion of the Yukon First Nations 101 course. You must complete this course in order to obtain a licence in the Yukon. 
    • A copy of your CV.
    • Proof of CMPA insurance indicating coverage in Yukon.
    • A copy of a Canadian government-issued identification (e.g., passport) Note: you can share this document with us directly through Physicians Apply.
    • Payment information form.
  3. The Council will review your application and if approved, we will call you to process payment. Once your payment has been processed, the Registrar of Medical Practitioners will sign and release your licence.
  4. Medical licences expire March 31 every year. Renewal applications are due March 1 of each year.   Learn more

Next steps

  • You must apply for hospital privileges after getting your Yukon licence and before providing patient care in Yukon hospitals. You must initiate this process with the Yukon Hospital Corporation directly. With your permission, we can share your CV, proof of CMPA insurance and professional references with the Yukon Hospital Corporation to streamline the process.
  • If you are practicing medicine through a corporation, you must apply for a professional corporation permit.