Skip to main content

LOCUM LICENSE (Medical Family / Medical Specialist)

** The locum licence is valid for one 3-month period per licensing year and cannot be renewed or extended. If you are planning to do various locums throughout the year, you must apply to be on the Medical or Medical Specialist Registers.

About job opportunities in the Yukon 

The Yukon Medical Association advertises job and locum opportunities for physicians in the Yukon.

Licensing requirements

Physicians wishing to practice medicine in Yukon must:

  • be a licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada; and
  • hold: 
    • a certificate of fellowship from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (or a specialty certification issued by the Collège des médecins du Québec on or after October 16, 2007); or
    • the College of Family Physicians of Canada (or a family medicine certificate issued by the Collège des médecins du Québec on or after October 16, 2007)


  • hold a current full licence in another Province or Territory of Canada that is a party to the Canadian Free Trade Agreement.

About international medical graduates

The Yukon Medical Council is not currently accepting applications for a limited family practice or limited specialist practice licences. This means that all physicians must meet the requirements listed above.

Licensing process

Locum licences will be processed within 10 days of receipt of a completed application including supporting documents.

  1. Complete the application for a locum license.
  2. Attach the following supporting documentation:
    • Certificates of professional conduct (also known as certificates of standing) from all jurisdictions you are currently registered and licensed in. These must be submitted to us directly from the regulatory bodies.
    • A copy of all medical licences that you currently hold in other Canadian jurisdictions.
    • Proof of completion of the Yukon First Nations 101 course. You must complete this course in order to obtain a licence in the Yukon. 
    • Proof of CMPA insurance indicating coverage in Yukon.
    • A copy of a Canadian government-issued identification (e.g., passport)  
    • Payment information form.
  3. The Council will review your application and if approved, we will call you to process payment. Once your payment has been processed, the Registrar of Medical Practitioners will sign and release your licence.
  4.   This license is valid for 1 three month period with the licencing year (April 1 - March 31) and cannot be renewed.

Next steps

  • You must apply for hospital privileges after getting your Yukon licence and before providing patient care in Yukon hospitals. You must initiate this process with the Yukon Hospital Corporation directly. With your permission, we can share your CV, proof of CMPA insurance and professional references with the Yukon Hospital Corporation to streamline the process.
  • If you are practicing medicine through a corporation, you must apply for a professional corporation permit.